Robert and I have a running joke that I would eat Mexican everyday if I could. But in all honesty…it's really not a joke. I LOVE Mexican food! I don't know that I could ever get tired of chips & queso, taco salads, or enchiladas. Robert isn't the biggest fan of it, though, and he especially doesn't like to eat at Mexican restaurants. He's crazy…I know. So every time he asks me where I'd like to eat out, I suggest a Mexican restaurant, and 9 times out of 10 he turns me down! Womp womp ;)
SO I've resorted to cooking mexican food myself!! We have a Mexican style recipe at least once or twice a week, and he actually likes the food that I prepare! I get my Mexican, and he doesn't have to go to the restaurant (and we save money!!!)…compromising for the win!! If only compromising was that easy every time! ;) HA!
There is one recipe that I fix almost every week…for two reasons: one- it's really easy and can go in the crockpot (which is GREAT for nights I have to nanny late!) and two- it is REALLY good! Oh and three- there are always left overs for lunch the next day (yay!)
I actually got the original recipe from my mother-in-law, but over the years I've tweaked it a little bit to have more of the ingredients I enjoy!
- 1 can of chili hot beans
- 2 cans of black beans
- 2 cans of corn
- 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 package of ranch dressing mix (dry)
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
Brown ground beef and drain. Put into crock pot. Rinse black beans and put into crock pot. Add chili beans, corn (drain), tomatoes, dressing mix, and taco seasoning. Stir well. Cook on high for 4-5 hours. Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream!!
Seriously…it's that easy!
If you'd rather not use the crock pot, you can also prepare this on the stove top. Follow the same directions, but put everything into a large pot, and simmer for 2 hours!
- Sometimes instead of ground beef I will use ground turkey! I've also used shredded chicken breasts before, and it turned out well! Just be sure to cook whatever meat you're using before putting it into the slow cooker!
- I've made this recipe 'cleaner' before by using all organic canned veggies and by making my own taco seasoning!
- If you're wanting a lighter option, leave off the sour cream, cheese, and chips! This soup is full of flavor & great on it's own!
I love cooking, baking, and finding new recipes. I'm thinking about starting a blog series featuring different tried & true recipes from our kitchen, and I would love to know what you think!! Did you like this recipe? Would you like to see more? Is there anything else that you'd like to see on the blog!? Please comment below! xo!
Happy Friday, friends!!